In a televised address to the nation, Modi said implementation of the lockdown will be strictly ensured in coming days to ensure that the virus does not spread to new areas,
The prime minister said detailed guidelines on implementation of the new lockdown will be announced on Wednesday.
Some relaxations may be allowed after April 20 in places where there is no hotspot, he said.
He said India has managed to contain the spread of infection well due to its holistic approach in dealing with the crisis and sacrifices made by people of the country in the fight produced positive results.
Modi said India received huge benefits from the 21-day lockdown in checking the pandemic and added that the country has dealt with the situation better with limited resources.
The lockdown that came into effect on March 25 was to expire on midnight of April 14.
The drastic measure shone the spotlight on the miseries of lakhs of migrant workers whose journeys on foot from several urban centres to their villages hundreds of kilometres away grabbed headlines for many days last month.
The catastrophic effect of the lockdown on the overall economy and livelihoods of lakhs of migrant workers triggered severe concerns following which a number of chief ministers in their video conference with Modi on Saturday sought some kind of relaxation for a number of sectors.
Late last month, the government announced a Rs 1.7 lakh crore package aimed at providing relief to those hit hard by the lockdown as well as an insurance cover for healthcare professionals handling virus infected people.
Here are more highlights from PM Narendra Modi’s address to the nation.
· Aware of the problems you’ve faced during to the lockdown
· India’s integrated approach and swift decision-making have helped in the war against the virus
· We’ve benefited from social distancing and the lockdown
· Been expensive from an economic standpoint, but can’t compare it with the lives of people
· Feedback from many states and individuals is to extend lockdown
· We’re extending nationwide lockdown till May 3
· Let’s not allow Covid-19 to spread in new areas
· Prevent creation of new hotspots
· We will increase vigilance in the next one week
· Till April 20, every district will be evaluated
· Districts that prevent Covid-19’s spread will get some relaxations
· Aim: Help daily wage workers
· If cases rise, all relaxations will be rescinded
· Expect detailed guidelines tomorrow
· From medicines to daily essentials, India is well-stocked
· More than1 lakh beds for patients
· More than 600 dedicated hospitals
· Please keep following lockdown rules
· Employers: Don’t sack staffers
· Be respectful towards doctors, nurses and cleaning staff
Inventiva Already wrote an article on 6th April, where the assumption was made that the lockdown will certainly be extended.