We have come a long way in the terms of technology. We have understood a great deal of it. Imagine a life without it! It’s certainly impossible because we have adapted to it. And now, it is god in disguise. Talking in terms of all the goodness that it has bestowed on us, it has influenced the global market extremely. We have 100 million ventures coming up annually and with it, a sense of our market has broadened. We have implied technology in our businesses, that in turn has provided us with a little comfort and stabilisation. Undoubtedly, a whole sector is devoted to providing this ease of work, we call it Digital Marketing Services.
Menco Consulting Group is one such company that focuses on providing marketing services and digitisation in the corporate world. Every venture needs some promotion, and mainly at the initial stages along with a good concept. Content generation has become topical nowadays. We have realised the importance of writing and the impact it has on its readers. Therefore, keeping all that in mind, Menco Consulting Services help you with the needful and ensure a long lasting growth in the respective field. Not just this, we have a whole interview below about their story and how this journey was made possible.
1. What is the Name of Your Venture? Any specific reason for this name?
Menco Consulting Group. Menco is a short form of Menon and Company. When my father had started his business 25-30 years back, he had started under the name Menco Products. I wanted to carry forward the name and the legacy.
2. Who is your target Audience/clients?
MCG’s target audience comprises of all those organizations across key sectors who are looking for digitization and digital marketing services.
3. Where is your venture based (city, state, country) & What are your geographical target areas?
The venture is based out in Vadodara, Gujarat but I am operating it from Pune. Geographically, I am targeting the Indian market. However, I do have few international customers who are engaged with me for content marketing and content creation services.
4. What problems does your venture resolve? What are your products or services?
We are a pretty simple consulting company, that provides digital marketing and content services.
5. Share the idea or story behind the venture. How did it came to an existence? What motivated you to start your own venture?
The name Menco came into existence 30 years back when my father started his business under the name Menco Products. I just took the name for my venture. The kind of content and language that I see in today’s startup companies, be it their product catalog or website, it took me by surprise. Having spoken to few founders, I realized that for them to market their services online or on social media, they need engaging content. Hence, I thought of starting up in the field of digital marketing and content services.
6. How did you identify your co-founder? Tell us something about your co-founder/s
Not yet. But I am speaking to few individuals who can join me in this journey.
7. How did you hire your first team members? What skills Do you want in your employees/team?
At present I am operating solo.
8. What expansion plans are you looking for the next 2 years, next 5 years?
Currently, I am operating solo, but in the next 1-2 years, I am planning to set up a team of 5 content writers and 3 digital marketing executives. 5 years down the line, the organization will be on a growth path and we may also incorporate few products in the digital space.
9. Where do you want to see yourself in next 10 years?
In the next 10 years, MCG will have couple of B2B products catering to education sector. We will also be looking to tie up with some channel partners for leveraging their technical capabilities.
10. What are your goals over the next 1, 3, 6 and 12 months?
Till December 2017, the focus will be on customer acquisition. I am also tying up with couple of development companies who have the bandwith to help me with their skill set to execute my projects. 2018 will probably see building of our team.
11. Have you raised any funding? Or have any plans for the funding?
Currently it is all self-funded and there are no plans to go for external funding, at least for next couple of years. However, as mentioned earlier we will definitely look for strategic tie ups with key players in the industry or ancillary industries to complement or supplement our service offerings.
12. What were the problems you faced during the starting days and how did you resolve them?
I had started this venture along with my full-time job, so initial days was a challenge to balance out the work in my office and then come home to start working on MCG. However, over a period of time I was able to schedule myself effectively to
13. Are you married, single or in a relationship?
I am married and I have a 4 year old daughter.
14. What are your hobbies? What do you do in your non-work time?
Writing is my passion and profession. I love to write. Moreover, I also train students who are preparing for IELTS examination.
15. Whats your favorite food & holiday destination?
I am fond of continental cuisine as it does not have any spices and it is healthy as well. My favorite holiday destination is any beach side place. Sit on the beach on a moonlit night or during the evenings and strike a conversation or may be read a book.
16. Whom do you consider your idol or biggest motivator?
Idols are many but there are three people whom I always look upto. My mother and father who are my source of inspiration, and Grant Cardone. I read GC’s story and I was totally shaken. I started following his talks and the snippets that he shares and he just brings that energy to the whole ecosystem.
17. What do you feel is the major difference between entrepreneurs and those who work for someone else?
Being an employee for a company limits your thought process. You are bound by the vision that the owner of the company has set up and you work towards that vision. Being an entrepreneur, the only limitations you come across are the ones that you have set up for yourself. Being an entrepreneur, you have the liberty to do what you exactly want; aligning with your vision. Your thought process is very clear.
18. If you had the chance to start your career over again, what would you do differently?
I would have probably started my venture right from day one rather than spending 13 years for someone else. I would have got into financial consulting.
19. How has being an entrepreneur affected your family & Social life?
It does take a toll on family and social life, but I am blessed to have a lovely partner who understands me and supports me in this journey.
20. Anything, you would like to say to our readers or upcoming entrepreneurs?
If you have a concept in mind and are looking to get started, don’t wait and more importantly don’t procrastinate. Share this with the most important people in your life and seek guidance. Find a mentor who can give you advice on what not to do. If you are to read any references, please read about the failed startups and ensure you don’t make those mistakes.
21. Tell us something about your education & family background.
I studied B.Sc in Instrumentation from Sardar Patel University and after that I pursued MBA from the same university. I completed my MBA in 2004 and started working for a call center.(Sounds crazy, but yes I did that).
My wife works in the field of HR and has a full time job. However, she will join the journey after 2-3 years. My 4 year old daughter, Aniksha is very fond of reading books.
My father and mother did Law. Currently they are retired and settled in Vadodara, Gujarat. My father was a businessman and my mother worked for IPCL (now Reliance)
I have a younger sister who is in the IT industry, working for a software development company as a Jr. Project Manager. She is also an established writer. If you get a chance, do read “Scarred for life, Healed forever”
22. What is your USP which makes it unique & different from other start-ups in similar domains.
I have not seen a startup yet that focuses extensively on content writing services. Usually you see companies providing content writing as part of a package. This gives me an upper hand. Moreover, this service will help me to build the product in education sector, which is my ultimate goal.
23. What do you think is the biggest threat to the success of small businesses & Start-ups today?
Innovation is a key to being successful, whether you are small or big. Need to bring out a change in the processes and execution. Lack of innovation will drag your organization down.
24. Do you consider yourself successful and by what means do you measure success?
Success is not a one-time achievement. It’s the accomplishment of small goals that you have set for yourself. For example, if I have set up a goal to acquire two customers in next month and when I do it I am successful. It is a journey.
25. Please share complete name, address, phone number, email id & website of Your Business & Contact Person
Menco Consulting Group
A-19 Ruxmani Nagar,
New Sama Road,
Email: [email protected]
Founder: Anirudh Ramkrishnan Menon