The Living walls is the Avant grade portal for the inclusive arts and crafts platform which is now in town with anticipated exploration. Creativity in itself is a combinatorial force which instigates in everyone the ability to tap the pool of knowledge, wisdom, patience, information that with the passage of time has accumulated in the fragmented mind.Not only this it is indeed enabled so as to perceive the world in a new way to find the pattern and find the connection which seamless radiates positivity around us. The arts and crafts are the exploration of everyday which brightens the present collaborating in it ingenuity of contemporary passion.Creativity and innovation coming together is the aesthetic value creation concept. And this exquisite is established to it its best by The living walls.
The Living walls aggregates all the sheer varieties of art and craft under one broad umbrella theme.It is indeed one stop solution to all those arts and craft enthusiastic whose believes in the essence of arts graced with an ethical touch embracing ones living.When it comes to the concept of art therapy as one of its domain, its cited benefits are numerous be it of collective coordination which is skill enhancing in nature or be it of motor coordination which translates to create a development, great lesson to demonstrate self-control and patience .The Living walls is a great portal to bring all these bonding ailment to come across in such an amazing way.
Art and craft events and workshop energises the positive endeavours in an individual. The Living wall offer to show a unique customisation option and a wide palette of beautiful shades.Art education yet another domain of living wall enables with the countless ways to show ones creativity in varied forms such as of basic home supplies daily items useful DIY, paintings etc.In art workshop various arts related concept are being created in which ones agility is being enhanced to self-expression. The Living wall is nothing but a treasure trove for all those strata population of fraternity be it adults, kids and for all members of the society which finds the best place of extra Impressive collection of art supply. Let’s learn about the enterprise to the instilling world of art and craft that enable to enjoy life’s little pleasure to more.
Scroll down ahead to learn about this remarkable venture of creative spirit and resourcefulness.
1. What is the Name of Your Venture? Any specific reason for this name?
The Living Walls- This name was chosen because any art & craft can put life on any non-living spaces like walls, home or offices.
2. Who is your target Audience/clients?
Different services have different audiences – example: Art classes – Children & Home makers; Workshops – Young working professionals / homemakers; Art sales & Rental – Hospitals, hotels, corp offices, individuals; Art Events- Corporate & Educational institutions and Art Therapy for treating psychological issues- Individual customers.
3. Where is your venture based (city, state, country) & what are your geographical target areas?
We are based in Bangalore, Karnataka, India; we are expanding our operations across India in next 24-36 months
4. What problems does your venture resolve? What are your products or services?
We are resolving below problems:
- Lack of customised art work creators, not-affordable / very expensive paintings and art works through gallery.
- Absence of service providers for art works on rent.
- Art education in India is highly unorganised market. Students don’t have access to good art teachers and art teachers don’t have much visibility.
- Lack of organised creative event management service providers.
- 89 % India’s population is suffering from stress / anxiety/ depression. Working professionals have high burn outs and poor work life balance.
- Lack of emotional wellness programs for corp. employees.
- The Living Walls (TLW) is the one stop solution for all your art needs – be it art education, art events, art workshops, art sale and art rental or art therapy. We are focused on aggregating the art community to make it accessible to all
- Art Sales through Online (E Commerce) and Gallery: We sell customised and handmade art / craft products Online (E Commerce) and through our Studios & Galleries.
- Art Rental: We provide art rental services for customised and handmade artworks/ Paintings online (E commerce).
- Art Education: We conduct art classes and workshops through home based teachers and at our studios suitable for all age groups.
- Art Events: We manage creative events for corporate like employee engagement, stress relief, fun workshops, art clubs, and art carnivals and after school programs for kids at schools, institutes and for social communities.
- Art Therapy: We provide Art therapy services for treatment like stress, anxiety, depression and many other psychological issues and for adults and children.
- All our solutions are provided through technology support
5. Share the idea or story behind the venture. How did it come to existence? What motivated you to start your own venture?
Art has been my passion from childhood, I loved drawing & painting….though I was interested in learning many art forms during my childhood , I couldn’t find a suitable art teacher. Later when I started creating my own artworks I found that art galleries were not considering / allowing new artists. Till now handmade fine art works are considered as unaffordable and very expensive. Hence I kept thinking how I could solve these problems and thus “The Living Walls” came into existence
6. Who are your biggest competitors and how do you differentiate yourself from them?
•Bloom & Grow – Art Education – conduct hobby workshops for people of all ages, they are not specific about art education & they have only one studio in Bangalore
•Drawing Room – Painting workshops at cafes and bars- They are not serious about learning art its only for relaxation, they don’t have their own studio
Our Differentiation: We are the one stop solution for all art needs; we specialise in Customised paintings at affordable costs for sale and rental. We conduct home based art classes for people of all ages
7. How did you identify your co-founder? Tell us something about your co-founder/s
My co-founder is Mr. Sharath was my ex-colleague and he has been a serial entrepreneur with vast knowledge in building & scaling multiple startups
8. How did you hire your first team members? What skills do you want in your employees/team?
We hired our team member from our networks through reference. The essential skills I want in our team is sincerity, creative thinking & taking ownership
9. What expansion plans are you looking for the next 2 years, next 5 years?
In next 2 years we would like to stabilise and grow our business in 4-5 cities from south & west in India- (Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Cochin & Pune etc.) in next 5 years we would like to be present across India at least 10 large cities including metros/ mini metros
10. Where do you want to see yourself in next 10 years?
In next 10 years, I would like to see our firm “The Living Walls” to be the No. 1 Art & craft brand across India & other south Asian countries
11. What are your immediate goals over the next 1, 3, 6 and 12 months?
- Goals within 6 months: Establish our brand in Bangalore
- Goals within 12 months: Run operations in Bangalore, Hyderabad & Chennai with at least couple of flagship studios/ galleries in each of these cities
12. Have you raised any funding? Or have any plans for the funding?
We haven’t raised any funding till now, we are looking at raising some seed funding shortly
13. What were the problems you faced during the starting days and how did you resolve them?
Since art & craft is highly unorganized market and there are no other firms providing comprehensive solutions, it was challenging for us to design the service offering and also create the operational process flow for each of those service lines
14. What was the most challenging part of your journey till now? How did you overcome those challenges?
The most challenging part was to reach our target customers and as we couldn’t afford to spend high on marketing expenses
15. What are your hobbies? What do you do in your non-work time?
Art & Painting
16. Whom do you consider your idol or biggest motivator?
I don’t really consider anyone as Idol. But the kind of relaxation and satisfaction I get during creating an art is the biggest motivator
17. What do you feel is the major difference between entrepreneurs and those who work for someone else?
I feel being an entrepreneur gives you huge exposure to handle multiple things, constantly keep pushing yourself out of comfort zone & explore your true potential. Whereas working for someone else is just the usual routine office timings – this can lead people to become very mechanical
18. If you had the chance to start your career over again, what would you do differently?
I would have worked for around 10 years in an early stage startup to learn the nuances of business and start my own venture
19. How has being an entrepreneur affected your family & Social life?
Being an entrepreneur is a complete different experience and exposure…. the family was little apprehensive in beginning but now its fine
20. Anything, you would like to say to our readers or upcoming entrepreneurs?
My message to upcoming entrepreneurs would be “if you want to start a venture – first you need to be madly passionate about it and have tons of perseverance”. You need to be ready for rejections, failures, setbacks, disappointments etc.. In the beginning However, if you put in your hard work, sincerity and keep putting your efforts in right direction then success will any way follow.
21. Tell us something about your education & family background.
I have completed my Executive General Management Program from Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bangalore and also I have completed by Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from Symbiosis Pune. And I am an electronics engineer.
22. What is your USP which makes it unique & different from other start-ups in similar domains?
Our differentiation is in customisation of Art and craft along with being one stop solution for all art needs
23. What do you think is the biggest threat to the success of small businesses & Start-ups today?
There are 2 threats I see for small businesses and start-ups today – some founders & investors are focusing only on valuation of the firm instead actually solving a problem or providing actual service to its customers. The other threat is that few founders have lack of perseverance & patience
24. Do you consider yourself successful and by what means do you measure success?
According to me success is very subjective and measure of success differs for each person. I think that success is journey than the destination because you keep seeing success every day – either small or big..So I keep increasing the bench mark every time I reach one, so that I can challenge myself & achieve more
25. Please share complete name, address, phone number, email id & website of Your Business & Contact Person.
Founder : Shridhar N Upadhye
Company Name: The Living Walls
Phone Number: 9108337700
Email: [email protected]
Address: No. 195, Rajyotsavanagar Main Road,
Kumaraswamy Layout-2nd stage, JP Nagar Post