Amazon Data Services and Amazon Internet Services together have recorded 3.4X jump in revenue to Rs 2,147 crore in FY18 from Rs 630 crore in the preceding fiscal.
While the data services accounted 44 percent (Rs 945 crore) of total revenue churned by combined entities from India, Amazon Internet Services (reseller of AWS) contributed the rest 56 per cent (Rs 1,256 crore).
Importantly, Data Services and AWS also posted a profit of Rs 87.9 crore and 28.5 crore respectively. Last fiscal, the former was profitable while AWS incurred a loss of Rs 10.9 crore.
AWS is the biggest provider of public cloud infrastructure worldwide as it has been preferred platform for running apps, websites and offer analytics among others. Globally, Amazon Web Services generated a revenue of $6.68 billion in the third quarter of this calendar year.
It accounted for 12 percent of Amazon’s total revenue in Q3 2018.
Besides hosting, Amazon data and web services include services such as analytics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. Its clientele base in India consists of central and several state governments, large private firms and startups.
Amazon cloud business is also expected to surge as government emphasis on data localisation. Currently, it has one data centre located in Mumbai. It competes with Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Alibaba Cloud.
Since the beginning of this year, Alibaba Cloud has been aggressive in India had launched two local data centres this year including one in Mumbai. Several investees of Alibaba Group’s including Paytm, Zomato, and Bigbasket use cloud services offered by the Chinese behemoth.
To drive adoption of Alibaba Cloud, Paytm has been offering an enterprise-messaging solution in partnership with DingTalk for facilitating conversations across email, chat, call or audio-video conference.
To Read Our Daily News Updates, Please visit Inventiva or Subscribe Our Newsletter & Push.