Learn How to Play Rummy Online
Rummy is a card game played by two to six players using either one or two card decks, depending on the number of players playing. If you are wondering how to play rummy online, the gist of the game is that each player must try and arrange the 13 cards dealt to them in required combinations in order to make a valid declaration before anyone else at the table.
There are two piles of cards in a game of rummy: open deck and closed deck. Players must pick a card from the open or the closed deck and discard one to the open deck.
The main goal for players is to reduce their overall score to zero. The king, queen, joker and the ace all carry 10 points, while the number cards are worth their face value. For example, 2♠ is worth 2 points.
The main objective of online rummy is to arrange the 13 cards in hand in required combinations of sequences or sequences and sets in order to make a valid declaration. For a valid declaration, players must create at least two sequences, out of which at least one must be a pure sequence. The remaining combinations can be either sequences or sets.
When a player creates a group of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit, it is called a sequence in the game of rummy. There are two types of sequences: pure sequence and impure sequence.
A pure sequence is a group of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit. In this combination, no card is replaced by a joker. For example, 8♥- 9♥-10♥ is a pure sequence.
An impure sequence is a group of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit. Here a joker is used as a substitute for any missing card in the sequence. For instance, 5♠-Q♥(WJ)- 7♠-8♠ is an impure sequence where a wild joker (Q♥) has been used as a substitute for 6♠.
A set is a group of three or four cards of the same rank but different suits. For example, 5♦-5♣-PJ-5♥ is a valid set of 4 cards where a printed joker has been used as a substitute for 5♠.
- The game is played between two to six players, using one or two card decks and jokers. Each player is dealt 13 cards.
- Before the game begins, one card is randomly picked from the closed deck. That card and the other cards of the same rank become the wild jokers for the game.
- Once the game begins, players must pick a card from the open or the closed deck and discard one to the open deck on each turn.
- Players must create at least two sequences, one of which must be a pure sequence, in order to make a valid declaration. The remaining two required combinations can be either sequences or sets.
- The player who makes a valid declaration first wins the game and gets zero points. Making an invalid declaration leads to a penalty of 80 points.
Quick tips and tricks
Here are some tips that will come in handy if you want to ace online rummy games.
- Prioritize creating a pure sequence as soon as cards are dealt. Without a pure sequence, you will not be able to reduce your overall score or make a valid declaration.
- Discard ungrouped high-value cards at the earliest. Cards like the ace, king, queen and jack all carry 10 points each. If they remain ungrouped in your hand even after three turns, you face the risk of incurring a heavy penalty if someone else declares before you.
- Avoid picking cards from the open deck as it might give your opponent clues about your hand and the cards you need.
- Make good use of middle cards as they offer you better flexibility and more options when it comes to creating a pure sequence. For example, a 7 of any suit can be grouped with cards like 5, 6, 8 and 9 to create a sequence.
- Jokers are crucial in a game of rummy. You can use jokers to create impure sequences. However, remember that you cannot make pure sequences with a joker acting as substitute.
- When you are ready to declare, check your hand thoroughly before pressing the “Declare” button. Making an invalid declaration leads to a penalty of 80 points.
Now that you have learned the fundamentals of playing rummy, you can start your online rummy journey by registering yourself on a trusted platform like Junglee Rummy for an authentic rummy experience. You can download the mobile app and play the game on your mobile anywhere, anytime.