The nationwide lockdown imposed due to the pandemic COVID-19 has affected every individual across the globe. Not only business, small shops, and jobs everything got affected due to the novel Coronavirus. Many people left their jobs, many faced salary cuts, many were granted leave without pay. All the schools and colleges got shut amid the lockdown. The youth was forced to face a sad state due to the nationwide imposed lockdown to combat from Coronavirus.
As we all know that no one was allowed to step out unnecessarily amid the lockdown, everyone was forced to stay indoors. Our active younger generations faced a lot of stress and anxiety amid the lockdown.
They all were passing their time by binge-watching series and movies on Netflix, scrolling net, sharing memes, posting things on their social media handles such as Instagram, and Facebook.
The result of using too much internet was that only Instagram, Netflix, Hotstar, Facebook, and other platforms witnessed a boost in their usage and audience. Our youth didn’t get any benefits from them. Either they got bored, influenced, jumped into anxiousness, and that’s all.
Youth faced a lot of things amid lockdown. In this article, we are going to talk about the issues faced by Indian youth and their mental pressure.
The busy life got paused.
Many things changed and happened in the period of lockdown.
Imagine a bird got trapped in a cage full of digital services, family, and all other luxuries. Would you replace the freedom and sky with all these? No, similar happened with our youth. They all were familiar with their busy moving life. Rushing towards college, school, office, or parties and other places keeps them involved and engaged.
And when they sit back locked inside their homes leads them to face Depression, stress, and anxiety.
They were trapped in unnecessary thoughts as they were free and not doing anything with much focus. According to different surveys, 70 percent of youth went under Depression and anxiety in the lockdown period.
The youth was unemployed and hopeless.
We all have heard about the obstacles and problems faced by the students with the JEE, NEET, and University exams. Let’s understand the education disaster faced by students in different aspects.
1) Delay and cancellation of exams
The delay and cancellation of exams resulted in a pause imposed on the studies. Students prepare for a year to score well in their exams irrespective of it is a competitive exam or their graduating year’s exam. The morale broke down in a few months when they heard no possibility of exams, or online exams could be taken in the light of the widespread of the Novel Coronavirus. The result was pressure, exam fear, Depression and stress.
2) The miserable online classes
We admit it, or not but kids were happy to sit ideal at home and enjoy the lockdown as their summer vacations and then the bar of online exams hit them. Online exams added strain on their eyes and confusion to their minds as no one understands appropriately in any of the online classes. Not understanding anything in class will be again a problem for students in the exam time.
3) Delay in degree will lead to a delay in getting jobs and scholarships
The delayed exams will lead to delay in getting jobs and applying for scholarships and internships. Of course, this will lead to stress and pressure among the youth. Although no new job opportunities are coming but still holding a degree gives a sense of satisfaction. With the degree, students can later apply to different competitive exams and scholarships.
Youth who were removed from their jobs
Another major problem witnessed in the country was that many people noticed salary cuts and unemployment due to the lockdown. Of course, before the COVID era, there were fewer job opportunities available in the country, but in the COVID era, people lost their jobs who were having it from before.
Many young minds were removed from their jobs, and the rest suffered from either salary cuts or leave without pay. This leads to creating tension among those young minds. They were impacted as they had their expenses but no money and job in their pockets.
No new job opportunities in the way post-COVID era
The people who lost their jobs in the COVID time or those who are fresher and looking for jobs are moving in a tunnel and don’t know where it is going to end. No new job opportunities can come until December or next year. So again, there is unemployment stress on the youth.
The wrong steps youth is moving towards
Suicide, Yes, you heard it right. After the lockdown, there was an increase in the cases of Suicide. Many young people who were either trapped in Depression or were under pressure due to their employment and studies chose to end their life.
The suicide rate noticed an increase and the cases include more young peoples. There are not one or two reasons behind this but more than even you think.
Yes, some mental disorders noticed a boost in the lockdown period.
Depression and anxiety are common symptoms of mental health disorders. Many reasons can commence causing mental disorder and sickness. We often never get to understand who is experiencing mental health issues. According to WHO, every one person among five is experiencing mental health issues across the world.
What is a mental health disorder?
Mental illness indicates a broad range of mental health conditions that impair your behavior, thoughts, and mood. Mental illness includes obstacles like Depression, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, addictive disorders, and schizophrenia. Mental health is affected over during signs, and symptoms cause persistent stress and impair your ability to function and perform your day to day activities.
Mental health issues can mess up your everyday life and make you hopeless, for example, in your work environment or seeing someone. As per WHO, mental disorders issues can be treated with specialist doctors and psychiatrists, family and relatives, and friends and your partners.
Symptoms of mental health issues
Various types of mental disorders have different types of symptoms and sing. Symptoms and signs of mental health disorder depend entirely on the kind of disorder, situation, and other related factors. Mental health problems can affect your behavior, physical activity, activeness, thoughts, and emotions.
Different kinds of mental issues have various sorts of side effects and symptoms. Side effects and indications of mental disorder rely totally upon the same sort of confusion, circumstance, and other related factors. Mental illnesses can influence your behavior, physical action, way of thinking, and feelings.
Some of the symptoms are as follows:
- You can feel unhappy or low thought the day.
- You may feel unclear or lead to a decrease in your ability to concentrate.
- They are possibilities of excess worries and fears or can be some extreme feelings of regret and guilt.
- There can be individual mood swings that can be high or low.
- Distancing yourself from friends and other social activities.
- There can be unusual tiredness, low energy, and sleeping problems.
- You may get disconnected from self-deception or can get hallucinations.
- You can cause an inability to tackle issues related to daily life or stress of anything.
- You can get a problem in understanding that can be connected to conditions and people.
- You may get addicted to or difficulties with alcohol or drug use.
- There can be observable differences in eating habits.
- You may feel a shift in sex drives.
- You may get extreme anger, hostility, or become violent.
- You may get trapped in suicidal thoughts.
Also, it is possible that sometimes you may get some health-related issues such as headaches, back pain, stomach pain, or other unexplained pains can happen due to the mental health disorder.
When to ask help from a doctor?
At the point when you feel any indication of mental instability, you can immediately look for help from a therapist or emotional wellness instructor. Numerous mental wellness issues don’t heal all alone and can cause you more and extreme problems if untreated. It is ideal for getting treatment of the issue before it worsens with time and makes your condition a more serious issue.
Suicidal thoughts are possible with almost every mental health disorders. But once you start getting them, you should do these things such as:
- Talk to your doctor.
- Talk to your friends and partner.
- Reach out to your parents and siblings.
- You can seek help from any religious leader.
Suicidal thoughts don’t wind up striking your mind on its own. You will have to combat them and prevent them from hitting you.
Suicide is never an alternative or option! Think about your parents, loved ones, friends. We, as a whole, get life once! Do not waste your life like this.
What are the causes of mental illness?
The cause of mental health disorders initially depends on these three factors:
- Inherited Traits: Mental medical issues are regular in individuals whose blood family members have experienced mental well-being related issues. Several genes may increase your danger of building up a psychological instability and may trigger your life circumstance.
- Environmental exposure before birth: Having liquor, toxins drugs, introduction to inflammatory conditions, and environmental stressors can here and there lead the kid to psychological illness.
- Chemistry of brain: If the neural systems that include Neurotransmitters become weakened, the capacity of nerve receptors and nerve frameworks can lead you to Depression and other intense issues. Neurotransmitters are synthetic compounds delivered by the mind that convey signs to different pieces of your cerebrum and body.
The risk factors related to mental illness
Various risk factors that can lead you to mental illness are as follows:
- A history of mental health problems in an ancestry relative, such as your mother, father or sibling.
- Stressful living situations like financial problems or the death of a loved one or a divorce.
- Any brain damage or critical injury or a severe blow to the head can point to mental illness.
- Any prior traumatic experiences, such as military battle or sexual harassment.
- Using alcohol or drugs.
- A history of childhood abuse or negligence.
- Toxic relationships or break-ups.
Mental illness can occur at any age, beginning from adolescence through grown-up years, yet the majority of the cases start in the beginning phase of life. The impacts of psychological well-being issues can be brief or can long last. There are chances that you can have more than one emotional wellness issue simultaneously; for example, you may have Depression and a substance use issue.
Complications related to mental illness
Untreated mental health sickness can lead you to serious behavioural, emotional, and physical health-related issues. Troubles linked to mental health disorder include:
- Disputes between family.
- Problems related to love relationships.
- Concerns related to alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
- Affairs related to workplace, school, or college.
- Obstacles related to legal and financial circumstances.
- Suicide or death.
- Problems linked to medical conditions such as heart disease.
Prevention from a mental health disorder
There’s no proven way to stop mental sickness. Take these measures to combat mental disorder:
Please pay attention to symptoms: Take consultancy from your primary care physician or advisor and accept his recommendation to take his advice to get rid of your mental illness. Contact your therapist if you notice any change in your behaviour or trait. Take appropriate consultancy from your primary care physician to track what to do if indications return. Additionally, Consider including relatives or companions to take care of you.
- Get routine medical care. Don’t jump your checkups and visit your doctor periodically. Also, don’t jump medicines and concentrate on a healthy and proper diet.
- Get help when you need it. Don’t pause for your mental health conditions symptoms to get more severe and hard to treat. Long-term medication may help to limit mental disorder symptoms.
- Take good care of yourself. Take an adequate amount of sleep, eat healthily, and regularly necessary for quick recovery and keep a steady schedule. Take consultancy from your doctor if you are observing trouble in sleeping or have any questions about your diet and day to day activities.
Increase in mental health problems amid the pandemic induced lockdown on almost every individual
Mental health issues have risen amid the COVID induced lockdown. There have been numerous improvements after COVID-19 entered the world. Approx 197·3 million individuals were experiencing mental issues in India before Covid-19 touched the Indian. It incorporates 45·7 million individuals with depressive issues and 44·9 million with anxiety issues. The effect because of the pandemic COVID-19 and fall in the economy will prompt massively affecting Indians in the forthcoming time.
The primary reason behind more mental health issues due to pandemic COVID-19
- Numerous individuals have gotten jobless, regardless of whether they are migrant workers or directors and managers in a Multi-National Compay. Without a doubt, people who won’t have any income opportunity will become captives to past savings and funds. Their ways of life will get hampered, and they will concentrate on continuing themselves at a low cost of living.
- No forthcoming opening for work in India needs to lead a condition of logical inconsistency among freshers who were preparing themselves up to confront placement rounds.
- People are working from home and getting quarantined at their houses; this condition was witnessed to lead to Depression.
- Disputes in the family.
- For women, marital rape cases, domestic violence, abusive behaviour can also point to mental health disorders.
- We are getting anxiety by speculating about future circumstances.
- A situation of isolation due to pandemic COVID-19.
How mental illness can improve your possibilities to get affected through the novel virus COVID-19.
Mental sicknesses attack your immune system. High-stress levels harm your immunity, whereas COVID-19 is the virus that attacks your immune system. You won’t be able to heal from the novel virus if your immune system is weak. This life-threatening disease can only be recovered if you have a strong immune system.
The country is observing a boost in COVID-19 cases every day. Take precautions and don’t let your immune system to become inefficient. If you might get hit by the pandemic, you will survive and improve if your immune system is healthy.
Types of mental diseases India is experiencing due to the widespread of the pandemic virus.
People are suffering from various types of mental health complications, such as:
Characteristics of Depression are sadness, tiredness, low self-esteem, loss of interest, sentiments of blame, inadequate sleep or imbalanced appetite, and intense concentration. People with Depression may have numerous physical sicknesses with no apparent physical reason. Depression can be durable and generously debilitate individuals’ capacity to work and adapt to everyday exercises. Misery can prompt Suicide and implosion at its generally extreme.severe.
Bipolar disorder affects around 45 million individuals over the world. It comprises of both panic and depressive demonstrations isolated by times of sound temperament. Panic incidents include speedy speech, raised or tense mood, increased self-esteem, over-activity, and insufficient demand for sleep. People are experiencing panic attacks but do not testify depressive episodes are categorized as having bipolar disorder.
Successful medicines are accessible to treat the intense period of bipolar issues and to keep it from loss. Additionally, there are drugs available that settle mood. It would be best if you had consultancy from the specialist to recover from the sickness.
Schizophrenia and other psychoses
Schizophrenia is a psychological issue that influenced 20 million individuals over the world. Psychoses incorporate schizophrenia portrayed by bends in feelings, feeling of self, thinking, language, observation, and conduct. Regular insane encounters include pipedreams that mean hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there and dreams that are fixed deceptions or doubts that are solidly held in any event, when there is proof in actuality. This issue can make it hard for individuals influenced to work or study.
Schizophrenia starts in late immaturity or early adulthood. Treatment with drugs and psychosocial backing can help in recouping. With suitable treatment and social help, influenced individuals can have a sound existence and be consolidated.
Dementia has caused around 50 million people over the world. Dementia is a ceaseless nature where there is rot in an individual limit, i.e., the capacity to handle thought past and caused progressively foreseen from sound developing. It impacts memory, thinking, heading, insight, tally, learning breaking point, language, and judgment. The shortcoming in scholarly limit customarily went with and on occasion went before by rot in energetic control, social lead, or motivation.
Dementia is realized by various diseases and wounds that impact the psyche, for example, Alzheimer’s disorder or stroke. Despite the fact that there is no treatment right now open to fix dementia or adjust its dynamic course, various prescriptions are in different periods of clinical fundamentals. Much should be conceivable, regardless, to improve the lives of people with dementia and their carers and families.
Developmental disorders, including autism
The formative issue is an umbrella term covering scholarly debilitates and unavoidable productive problems, including mental irregularity. The productive issue, for the most part, has a young start; anyway will, all in all, suffer into adulthood, making impediment or delay in limits identified with the significant tangible framework advancement. Generally, they follow a reliable course instead of the hours of lessenings and apostatizes that depict various mental issues.
Scholarly powerlessness is depicted by the incapacity of capacities over various developmental zones, for instance, individual working and flexible lead. Lower information diminishes the ability to change in accordance with the step by step exercises of life.
Indications of inescapable advancement issues, for example, concoction unevenness, consolidate blocked social direct, correspondence and language, and a tight extent of interests and activities that are both unique to the individual and are made coolly.
Formative issues in the time start in the beginning or youth. People with these disperse now and again give some degree of insightful inadequacy.
Mental disorder amid lockdown Case Study:
Sushant Singh Rajput Suicide Case
Sushant Singh Rajput, the popular Bollywood star, debuted the Bollywood with Kai Po Che and ended his life on 14th June 2020 at his home at Bandra, Mumbai. He was experiencing the symptoms of depression that caused him to death. Self-isolation in the period of lockdown ends his life. There was no one to listen to him and was suffering his problems alone in his bedroom where he hangs himself to death.
Many rumors say that his death has a mystery of murder, but the psychological facts reveal that his aloneness leads him to commit Suicide. No one knows the exact reason behind his Depression. Rhea Chakroborty or the drug angle CBI is investigating upon. There were possibilities that we wouldn’t have taken this massive step if it was not a lockdown. Also, if it was not a lockdown, it was not possible to murder him irrespective of any search angle. Many of his friends and family could have helped him to recover from his Depression, and he could have been saved.
May his soul rest in peace!
Covid-19 patients committing Suicide
A 38-year-old COVID patient was shifted to Sharda Hospital by the Noida International Institute of Medical Sciences (NIIMS) after he was found with the novel virus, he attempted Suicide.
Another Covid-19 patient had been diagnosed to have mental sickness and was under consideration.
Apart from this, some of the people who were migrant laborers chose to commit Suicide for being jobless and homeless.
COVID-19 is hitting everyone across the nation, irrespective of he is a positive COVID case or not.
Treatment of mental illness amid lockdown
- Everything will come back to normal! Suicide is never an alternative! Don’t do this! Think about your family and friends.
- If you are observing any indications of mental illness, quickly consult a doctor.
- Speak to your friends and family.
- If you have been staying with your family, spend some time with them, talk about your situation and try to heal from the disorder by their support.
- Job opportunities are not available! But it will be possible in the future. Have trust and patience.
- Keep yourself busy, cook food, read books, or do whatever you want to do to feel happy. Love yourself and restart your life to improve mental health problems.
We all have the belief that things become normal soon! Till then, we have to pray for our health. Never give up! We all have to combat against this novel Coronavirus and sustain ourselves. Offices, schools, colleges, and other organizations will shortly open entirely, and circumstances will change.