Stan Swamy died in custody awaiting medical bail; Bombay HC expresses shock

Jesuit priest Stan Swamy, an accused in the Elgar Parishad-Maoist links case, died on Monday while waiting for an interim bail on medical grounds.

Dr Ian D’souza, director of the Mumbai-based Holy Family Hospital, the private facility where Stan Swamy was undergoing treatment, and the tribal rights activist’s lawyer Mihir Desai informed a bench of the Bombay High Court of his death following cardiac arrest.

The bench, comprising Justices S S Shinde and N J Jamadar, expressed shock over the news and said it was at a loss of words and hoped Stan Swamy‘s soul would rest in peace.

Stan Swamy died in custody

Meanwhile, the Jesuit Provincial of India released a statement expressing grief over Stan Swamy’s death. It said the priest had worked all his life for the “Adivasis, Dalits, and marginalised communities”.

Senior counsel Desai told the HC that he had no grievances against the HC and the private hospital where Stan Swamy was treated, but he could not say the same for the National Investigation Agency (NIA), which is conducting a probe into the Elgar Parishad-Maoist links case, and the state prison authorities.

Fr Stan Swamy dies in custody awaiting medical bail; Bombay HC expresses shock | India News | Manorama English

Desai claimed the NIA had been negligent in providing timely and adequate medical aid to Stan Swamy, and urged the HC to initiate a judicial inquiry into the circumstances that led to the undertrial activist’s death.

He said Stan Swamy was taken to the state-run J J Hospital 10 days before his admission to the Holy Family Hospital (on May 29 this year). But, he was not tested for COVID-19 at the J J Hospital, he said.

Stan Swamy’s report came out positive for coronavirus when tested at the private hospital, the lawyer said.

See also  Siddaramaiah questions PM on bitcoin scam

About the probe agency, Desai said, “The NIA did not seek Stan Swamy’s custody even for a single day, but kept opposing his bail pleas.”

He also pointed out that since Stan Swamy died while being in custody, the state authorities were mandated to conduct a postmortem in accordance with guidelines of the United Nations Human Rights Commission.

While the HC did not pass any orders initiating a judicial inquiry, it recorded in its order that the amended section 176 (1A) of the CrPC mandated judicial inquiry into every case of death in custody.

If the same provision was applicable in the present case, the state and prosecuting agencies would have to comply with the same, the HC said.

The court directed that the state authorities complete all formalities and hand over Stan Swamy’s body to his associate, Father Frazer Mascarenhas.

The directive came after Desai told the court that while normally a dead body was handed over to one’s family, Stan Swamy was a priest and had no family. The Jesuits were his only family, he said.

The HC also recorded in its order that Stan Swamy’s funeral will be held in Mumbai in accordance with the COVID-19 protocols applicable in the city.

The bench was presiding over an urgent application moved by Desai to hear Stan Swamy’s medical bail plea.

Stan Swamy: A life dedicated to Adivasis| India News | Manorama English

The bench began the hearing asking for Stan Swamy’s latest medical reports from the hospital authorities, when the NIA intervened objecting to the urgent mentioning.

Desai then intervened, urging the HC to let Dr D’souza address the court for just a minute”.

The court was then told that Stan Swamy suffered a cardiac arrest on July 4 early morning.

He was put on a ventilator then, but he never regained consciousness following the cardiac arrest. He was finally declared dead this afternoon, Dr Dsouza told the court.

See also  Will NAMO Announce Another Lockdown or Let India Top Covid-19 Cases or Make It a Graveyard

The doctor said Stan Swamy recovered from COVID-19, but had lung complications, and was also a known case of Parkinson’s disease. “A possible combination of these led to septicemia,” Dr D’Souza told the HC.

We record with a heavy heart that Dr Ian Dsouza, medical director of the Holy Family Hospital, informed us that Stan Swamy passed away at 1.24 pm today, the bench said.

Dr. D’souza, we are sorry to know that despite your best efforts, Fr. Stan Swamy is no longer with us. Mr Desai, accept our condolences. May his soul rest in peace. We are all very shocked. What to now say further? We appreciate your efforts. You made him (Stan Swamy) agree to get admitted to the hospital and he got the best medical treatment. But ,unfortunately, he could not survive, the HC said.

Stan Swamy was earlier lodged in the Taloja prison hospital in neighbouring Navi Mumbai as an undertrial since his arrest in October 2020.

Following the HC’s orders, Stan Swamy was shifted to the Holy Family Hospital here in May this year, and the cost of his treatment at the medical facility was being borne by his associates.

At that time, a visibly frail Stan Swamy had appeared before a vacation bench of the court via video conferencing and urged it to grant him interim bail.

He had said that his health declined steadily while in the Taloja prison. He had refused admission to the J J Hospital and had said if things continued the way they were, he “would die soon”.

I would rather suffer, possibly die very soon, if this were to go on. My deterioration is more powerful than the small tablets that the J J Hospital gives me, he had said.

Stan Swamy had said he wished to go to Ranchi to be among his people.

See also  33 Million Americans Have Filed for Unemployment Since Start of Coronavirus epidemic

He had approached the HC earlier this year, challenging the order of a special court from March last year that denied him bail both on merits and medical grounds.

He had told the HC that he suffered from advanced stages of the Parkinson’s disease and various other ailments.

The NIA, however, had filed an affidavit in the HC last month opposing his bail plea. The central agency had said Stan Swamy was a Maoist and part of a conspiracy to create unrest in the country. It had said there was no “conclusive proof” of his medical ailments.

Last Friday, Stan Swamy, through advocate Desai, filed a fresh plea challenging section 45D(3) of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), that imposes stringent bar on grant of bail to an accused charged under the Act.

Stan Swamy dies in custody awaiting medical bail; Bombay HC expresses shock | Law-Order

The section, Stan Swamy had said, created insurmountable obstacles for an accused to be granted bail and was thus, violative of one’s fundamental right to life and liberty.

His medical bail plea and the fresh plea were listed for hearing last Friday, but could not be taken up by the HC due to “paucity of time.”

The court had at the time adjourned the hearing to July 6, and extended Stan Swamy’s stay at the private hospital till then.

On Monday, it acceded to Desai’s request for not disposing of the pleas.

The HC said it will hear Desai’s submissions on the UAPA plea on July 13.

The Elgar Parishad case is related to inflammatory speeches made at a conclave held in Pune on December 31, 2017, which, the police claimed, triggered violence the next day near the Koregaon-Bhima war memorial located on the outskirts of the western Maharashtra city.

The police had claimed the conclave was organised by people with alleged Maoist links.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker