Who are the most important people in your life? Your wife…Parents…Your Child? Yes, for all of us, our weaknesses lie in our families. After all, these are “our people” for life…for whom we’re willing to go the extra mile.
However, this unconditional kind of love also brings along the most pertinent stressors.
Is mom safe at home while I’m tucked under heaps of work at the office? Can I even leave my new-born alone for a moment? What if they wake up searching for me and I don’t even realize? What if the building guard dozes off for a minute and a burglar enters home in the middle of the night?
You’d want to protect your family and loves ones from the above at all costs. Dangers might be always looming. Can we avoid them from being a part of life? No.
However what is the key then one may ask…
The key here is to be prepared. To be cautious and clever. To have facilities in place for times when you or your family needs them the most. To protect you and your family, a company is revolutionizing the personal safety space in India. ‘TigerTech’ has launched its game-changing tech-related safety solutions that shall change the way we look at our personal security.
What sets them apart? No, we’re not talking about age-old CCTV and security cameras. TigerTech instead offers an end-to-end solution for all the safety-related fears. A ‘family’ of safety-centric products is what they have created.
“Security Anywhere” is the motto they stand by – assuring you’re protected not only within your four walls but also when outside of your homes.
Imagine a number of protective wearable gears, video doorbells and portable trackers. These allow you to monitor your valuables and loved ones when you’re physically away. Send and received urgent SOS alerts for potential dangers. Set safe zones which you children or aged parents shouldn’t cross and the like.
This family of products moreover is tailored specifically to Indian masses, keeping our needs and lifestyles in mind. It is “Designed for India”. No internet or power failures? No problem! TigerTech safety solutions still work. What’s more? You don’t even need to call on an engineer to set the devices up. Super easy to install, no re-wiring and voila – you’re already steps closer to assuring your family is protected at all times.
In conversation with the founding partner of TigerTech, Inventiva shall unfold the story behind the brand. Here is what the partner says about the company’s USPs and overall goals. Read on to know how you can protect yourself and your loved ones better using TigerTech’s products and facilities:
1. What is the Name of Your Venture? Any specific reason for this name?
‘TigerTech Smart Living Pvt. Ltd.’
Tigers are a global symbol of power & are known to fiercely protect their families. This is essentially what we do – Leverage technology to allow our customers to protect their families as Tigers would.
We make powerful security devices that allow our customers to ensure complete and comprehensive safety for ALL members of their family – regardless of whether they are indoors or outdoors.
Last but not least, the founders’ family name is Wagh – which translates to Tiger in English.
2. Who is your target Audience?
We have 6 products, which are focused on Safety, Security, and comprehensive Health Monitoring. Each of these has different target audiences:
o Targets young parents for Advanced Baby monitors with Cry detection sensors or Baby movement detection sensors.
o Target Sr. Citizens and regular Homeowners, shop owners, warehouse owners, offices, executive cabins etc. for high-end Security Cameras
o Used by Sr. Citizens as a portable Panic button wherever they are.
o Used by families of people affected by Dementia, Alzheimer’s, Autism, Epilepsy, Vertigo patients , Down syndrome etc. to ensure that their loved ones are always safe and don’t go lost
o Used by parents for tracking their young children. Know when they enter and exit school. Adds on as a wearable device to call the kids instantly (without giving them a cell phone).
o Used by single women who work night shifts and need wearable and discreet safety measures.
o Used by Jewelers, Insurance companies & vehicle owners to track their precious gems, cargo and cars/bikes respectively.
o Targets professional DINK / DISK couples who like to know who wants to enter their home. Enables them further to talk to visitors even when they are in office.
o Used by Sr. Citizens so that they don’t need to leave their chairs every time the doorbell rings.
o Used by builders as “Video doorbells”. They are actually becoming a standard fitting in many modern projects
o Targets Sr. Citizens who have an active life and want to self-monitor their health. Especially important for those suffering from life-threatening conditions like that of Dementia, Alzheimer’s, Autism, Down syndrome and Epilepsy.
o Used by Home Health companies for Sr. Citizen patients who’re bedridden but in need of their vital signs to be monitored regularly
o Used by doctors and hospitals for post-op care of transplant patients etc.
o Used by 3rd Party Health analytics companies to automatically receive vital health data from each patient straight into their database. This, in turn, generates trends and causation information that could be missed during routine examinations
3. Where is your venture based? What are your geographical target areas?
We are based in Pune, Maharashtra.
In terms of target areas, for the B2C sector, our target area is the entire country as we are available on all the popular e-marketplaces. Our customers are spread across the country. They can buy our products online on Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, etc. We’re also listed on curated sites like FirstCry, Seniority, SeniorShelf, etc. We’re also in 31 Croma stores across India…
For B2B, we are targeting specific verticals, like Builders, BPO Companies, Schools, Gated communities, Hospitals, Home Health companies, etc. in metros and Tier 1 cities
4. What problems does your venture resolve? What are your products or services?
India has a significant amount of crime reported on a daily basis. This includes break-ins & robberies in broad daylight. More violent acts and murders are also committed in random hours. A large number of Indian households have unverified domestic help which is also a big cause of concern. We have the 2nd highest murder rate in the world (after Brazil)… And we also have a significant amount of child abuse and women molestation issues that are taking place each day!
While many of these incidents happen indoors, a significant number of these incidents happen when the victim is travelling on the road, or is in school, or is returning late from work, etc.
Additionally, we have a large number of Sr. Citizens who live alone and have no means of protecting themselves. Not only from external dangers but also from indoor accidents like falling in the bathroom. Or from outdoor issues like wandering too far from home and getting lost (especially for patients affected by Dementia or Alzheimer’s).
What’s thus needed to arrest the above issues is an urgent 911 kind of ERS (Emergency Rescue Services). Something as simple and direct as calling 911. And something that can address the issues as soon as possible.
We believe that India desperately needs a dependable and reliable national brand that offers a “complete family” of high-end security products. These products need to be easily available, easy to install (don’t have to dig up walls and don’t need installation engineers), easy to use and affordable for the masses. Products that not only protect you within 4 walls of your home or office – but also when you are outdoors or commuting. The products should also come with ERS Services that could be called upon in case of an emergency.
TigerTech’s Family of Smart & Safe Living products address ALL the above issues comprehensively…
• The TigerGUARD Smart Video Doorbell ensures that you can see, hear and speak to your visitors before you open the door… It streams 720P HD video with crystal clear two-way communication from your front door, straight to your Smartphone. It also warns you even if it senses somebody loitering outside your home with its motion detectors.
• TigerEYE Security Cameras protect the interior of your home or office from intrusion. They live stream a 720P or 1080P HD video stream on your phone with 4X zoom. These moreover have very powerful night vision that allows you to see a bright picture even in pitch darkness. All of them have built-in motion AND sound detectors that trigger instant sirens and alerts if they hear any suspicious sound or movement. They also automatically record the entire incident and send you the video clip on your phone. All of them have a built-in mic & speaker that allows a two-way video conversation with your family from your Smartphone – whenever required.
• The TigerEYE Pro is specially designed for India and Indian conditions. It has a built-in battery that allows it to work during power failures. It also has a SIM card slot that allows it to stream live video without Wi-Fi. Furthermore, the battery and SIM features make this India’s only truly portable security camera.
• These cameras are also being used as advanced Baby Monitors, where the sound sensor and motion sensor picks up sounds of the baby crying or moving. They can detect the baby waking up and instantly alert the parents on their Smartphone. Bringing up a new-born has never been more secure and stress-free.
• The TigerTRACK is a small wearable personal safety device. Its 1” X 1” in size and weighs 20gms. It is a Powerful GPS Tracker with a Panic / SOS button, built-in cell phone and works on a Lithium-Ion battery. The TigerTRACK App allows you to track your loved ones 24 X 7. In case they have an emergency, one push of the Panic button will automatically send alerts to family & friends with their exact location information. The Tracker will also automatically dial the emergency numbers and connect you over a two-way call.
The Geofence capability of the TigerTRACK also allows you to set safe zones near your home or near your child’s school. This instantly alerts you if the safe zone has been crossed by your child etc. The TigerTRACK is also widely used by Sr. Citizens as a Tracker and a wearable SOS button. The mere presence of the TigerTRACK gives them the confidence that they will be protected no matter what.
The products were specially designed in India… for India… and are for average middle-class Indian families. For everyone actually who wants to ensure the security of their loved ones. The products are easy to procure, easy to install, easy to use and easy on the wallet. In fact, they’re the ONLY products that ensure family security & safety within the 4 walls of your home plus when they’re commuting on-the-road.
5. Share the idea or story behind the venture. How did it come to existence? What motivated you to start your own venture?
TigerTech founders have been based in the US for a long time (15+ years) running a very successful business. We have been consulting with the US-based Fortune 50 Companies, and with service delivery hubs spread across India… I am a partner at the company. Since our customers ranged from those were based in the US while to those based at the Delivery hubs were in India, I was required to travel to and fro, splitting my time evenly between the two locations. I would actually take around 8 plus trans-continental trips a year for the same.
As a result, I was able to see and experience everyday life in both places simultaneously. In the US, it is very common and easy for people to visit stores like BestBuy. They can easily view a variety of high end to affordable DIY home security solutions and install them themselves. This is despite the crime rates in most cities being quite low.
However, every time I visited India, I would find that even though the crime rates were extremely high, there was a major vacuum lack in this space. There was no national branded company that provided high quality and comprehensive security solutions for the middle class.
Surveys clearly showed that while people had a desperate need for such products, there was almost no single company that could provide security solutions on a national basis. At most, there were a few companies that could provide CCTV cameras and other single products but nobody with an integrated view of the solution. That too, specially tailored for homes and for the middle class.
Most good quality products available were custom solutions or international products which were prohibitively expensive and meant mainly for the elite. We also found that most of the world’s best security solutions failed in India for the following reasons:
• They required continuous power (most locations in India cannot guarantee continuous power)
• They required fast WiFi connections (we all know the issues we face with internet connections and WiFi)
• They would protect you only within your home (no protection when you are outdoors)
• The really good quality products were very expensive and out of reach for the middle class
All these issues were the genesis of this startup… TigerTech has been able to take all the above issues as “design challenges” and come up with a “family” of products that protect your loved ones in an easy to use, easy to install manner – regardless of whether they are indoors or outdoors.
The products are also aesthetically appealing. We have ensured that from the perspective of build quality, fit and finish, our products are CE & FCC certified as per EU & US standards. And last but not least, we have managed to not compromise quality and yet keep the pricing very affordable.
6. Who are your biggest competitors and how do you differentiate yourself from them?
Our competition ranges from local companies like Hikvision, Godrej, CP Plus and Zicom to US Companies like Ring, Skybell & Nest. However, it’s important to understand that each one of these competitors offers only a small part of the complete solution, at prices higher than TigerTech and without most of the critical security features that TigerTech provides.
For instance, Hikvision, CP Plus & Godrej offer cameras and Wired Video Doorphones (not Smart). Zicom’s also has cameras and VDP’s that use ancient technology. None of them offer Smart Bells, Cameras, & Smart security on-the-go as we do. As far as the other smaller competitors in India are concerned, these are single product companies or traders that offer cheap quality products.
Here are some of our differentiators:
1. We are probably the ONLY Company in India which offers a comprehensive family of products that protect you right from your front door to the interior of your home or office, and also protect you while you are on the road.
2. AND we offer ERS as well.
3. We are also are the ONLY company in India whose products are designed to work under Indian conditions – our camera systems can work during power failures and during WiFi failures or can work even without WiFi. This makes TigerTech products truly unique in the Indian market, where such failures are commonplace. Furthermore, critical initiatives like security cannot be dependent on external elements like power and WiFi. Criminals can easily manipulate these by shutting off power before they enter the home.
4. TigerTRACK is the smallest, lightest and most technologically advanced personal security device available in India. TigerTRACK offers 3 mode tracking technologies (GPS, LBS, WiFi) so that if one fails for whatever reason, the Tracker can still continue to perform its task. And the TigerFIT Pro is the only wearable device that combines safety (fall detection), security (GPS tracking, panic button & phone) and health monitoring (BP, Heart rate, pedometer, medicine scheduler, and more) in a single wearable device.
5. Last but not least, our aesthetics, and focus on the fit & finish is extreme. We also CE, FCC & RoHS compliant
These are our biggest differentiators. In this category of comprehensive home & personal security, we have NO competitors in India.
7. How did you identify your co-founder? Tell us something about your co-founder/s
My co-founder is my wife – Geeta Wagh. After living abroad for many years, we both were convinced that we had to do something for the cause of women’s and children’s safety in India. She then agreed to join me on this journey. She is a health and fitness professional. She has managed gyms and health clubs in India and in the US and is very adept at managing customer support – which is critical for a new brand like TigerTech. She is also a Master Pilates instructor in her own right.
8. How did you hire your first team members? What skills do you look for in your employees/team?
We looked at all the functions for running an organization and explored the ones that could be outsourced v/s had to be managed internally. This way we kept our staff headcount at the minimum. Currently, we have outsourced App development, marketing & social media, accounting etc.
Our first team member was Archana Shiledar who came in highly recommended and looks after all our critical internal functions. These include finance, compliance, accounting and inventories. She is an invaluable part of the TigerTech family.
9. What expansion plans are you looking for in the next 2 years and in the next 5 years?
We plan to reach the 1000 Crore mark as a company in 5 years.
10. Where do you want to see yourself in the next 10 years?
We would like to be a name which is synonymous with home & personal security. We want our security solution brand to be a household name in Indian families. What Xerox is to photocopying, Uber is to Cabs, Godrej is to steel cupboards, Bisleri is to bottled water…
11. What are your immediate goals over the next 1, 3, 6 and 12 months?
Immediate goals over 1-3 months are to have a robust social media presence. The aim is to maximize exposure with a focus on online sales.
In 3-6 months while continuing social media initiatives, we would like to consolidate our presence in Croma. We would be consolidating our retail relationships with other outlets such as Vijay Sales, Kohinoor, Viveks and other local retailers in South India. At the same time, we would like to start our Dealer program and OEM program with Builders.
Within 6 to 12 months, our goal is to expand our OEM program Broadband internet providers, BPO companies, schools, Sr. Living communities, Health analytics & Home health companies.
12. Have you raised any funding? Or are looking to raise funds?
We have been completely self-funded to date. If and when needed we might explore additional investments by third parties. We will consider funding options when we’re set with a solid foundation to scale exponentially.
13. What were the problems you faced during the starting days and how did you resolve them?
The biggest problem was the uncertainly and risks of starting something completely new in your home country, especially while you have an extremely successful business running in the US. The risks were compounded by the fact that the sector we were planning to enter in India was completely unorganized and there was no Indian market data, user data or competitor data available for us to create a robust business plan. However, based on multiple surveys, we were convinced that there was a need for somebody to step in and leverage technology for ensuring the safety or families, women and children in India and we decided to proceed. We also made some careful assumptions to evolve our business plan and mark our milestones.?
14. What were the most challenging parts of your journey till now? How did you overcome these challenges?
There were many challenges. However, the biggest was to identify the product mix and number of products that we should launch. Whether the products should be launched one at a time or simultaneously. Whether all the product Apps should be integrated or not. We finally came to a conclusion that we needed to be true to our Mission of “Security Anywhere” and ultimately that guided and drove us to the right path which we ultimately chose.
15. What are your hobbies? What do you do in your non-work time?
We are Music freaks. Our huge collection spans past 40 years and across many genres, and in multiple languages like English, Hindi & Marathi… Music helps us to completely relax and disconnect from the world… I & my family are also avid animal lovers and activists. We spend time helping their causes.
16. Whom do you consider your idol or biggest motivator?
I think Madhukar Talwalkar (who also happens to be my Father-in-law and the founder of the Talwalkars) is definitely my biggest motivator and idol. I have experienced his story up close & personal. I believe that TigerTech’s places in the Home Security space today is exactly where Talwalkars was placed in the Health & Fitness space when they commenced operations.
When Talwalkars Gyms started business decades ago, health and fitness in India was not a significant priority for most people. It was almost non-existent or rather extremely nascent a market. Thus it was a significant risk for him to enter this space. H…however for Mr Talwalkar, fitness was not just a business, it was religion. Which he believed was to be followed by all. His objective was to make sure that he persuaded as many people as he could to take care of themselves and their health.
The journey was not easy, but he persevered year after year, against all odds, till finally, he was able to create the necessary awareness. He actually created a fitness revolution in the country. Today, he continues to win the hearts & minds of fitness enthusiasts all over the country and the world. He continues to enjoy their love and respect despite the biggest names in Fitness making their big entries in India.
Over the years, he has single-handedly helped thousands of young fitness enthusiasts and bodybuilders who could not afford gym membership fees or diets. He has helped them to meet and exceed their goals. Thus because of his great passion and conviction, today his name is synonymous with Fitness in India.
Even today, at the young age of 85, he looks fitter than most 40-year-olds. He works and travels tirelessly across the globe spreading the benefits of healthy living and expanding the Talwalkars brand and network.
17. What do you feel is the major difference between entrepreneurs and those who work for someone else?
The biggest differences are a proud sense of ownership. A sense of creating something valuable from nothing…A sense of contributing to society directly & indirectly in some form or manner…And a sense of freedom to be able to try out any options that he/she deems fit without corporate pressures of losing your job being sacked.
18. If you had the chance to start your career over again, what would you do differently?
My first love was flying and the second one was advertising. While I love the way my life has turned out, I do sometimes wonder what it would have been if I had chosen a different path. But other than the occasional pondering, I would say Hell no! I would not change any of the decisions I’ve made in the past.
19. How has being an entrepreneur affected your family & Social life?
Not really… Having lived and worked in Corporate America for a very long time brings some sort of discipline with respect to your daily habits. The time you spend with your family and friends, etc. and this ensures that there is minimum impact on your daily life.
20. Anything, you would like to say to our readers or upcoming entrepreneurs?
If you seriously believe in yourself and your idea, give it your sincere most and best shot. Results will come.
21. Tell us something about your education & family background.
I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Physics & Computer Science from the University of Bombay… Both my Parents are qualified lawyers. However, my dad – Shashi Wagh – chose to follow his first love and was a pilot at flew for Air India for 25 years. This gave us a great opportunity to live abroad and see the world first hand from a very young age. My mom – Kunda Wagh – practised Law in Mumbai High Court for decades.
Geeta Wagh – mMy wife and co-founder – is a qualified nutritionist. She belongs to India’s first family for Health & Fitness – being Madhukar Talwalkar’s daughter. I have two two daughters – Trisha & Rhea – who have completed their education in the UK and the US. They are currently working for a large Pharma company and Merck and a respected Financial institution in the US. Our youngest 4 legged daughter – Bella – lives with us in Pune.
22. What is your USP which makes it unique & different from other start-ups in similar domains?
Our USP is “Security Anywhere” – as we are the ONLY Company that offers security products regardless of where you are.
We also offer an entire range of Safe & Healthy Living Products “specially designed” for the Indian masses. These are moreover easy to install and use and are very affordable. For the first time, these provide middle-class Indian families, women, children and Sr. Citizens with peace of mind and an ability to live their lives fearlessly.
23. What do you think is the biggest threat to the success of small businesses & Start-ups today?
The biggest threat is that larger companies / peripheral competitors could copy your ideas. They, in turn, offer lower quality products in the same marketplaces for a cheaper cost.
24. Do you consider yourself successful and by what means do you measure success?
Success in the early stages of a startup is measured based on meeting or exceeding specific milestones and objectives. As the business grows, the parameters for success will transition from non-financial objectives to numbers.
We started TigerTech in 2017 and launched our products in Jan 2018… In this time we have been extremely successful in a couple of specific areas:
– Developing a Full Range of IoT Smart & Safe Living Products which are “Designed and Engineered specifically for India” and span Security, Safety & Health – the essential elements of “Smart Living”
– Getting the product manufactured with CE and FCC Certifications
– Creating awareness and a market for a “Family” of Safe & Smart Living Products. Making the products available on various marketplaces, curated websites and in 31 Croma stores across the country
We have a way to go to reach our financial success goals. However, we are happy with what we have achieved in the short span of time that we have been in business.
25. Please share complete name, address, phone number, email Id and website of Your Business. Give details of a Contact Person
TigerTech Smart Living Pvt Ltd.
1, Raj Shree Apartments, Nilgiri Lane
Aundh, Pune 411007
Contact: Aamod Wagh
Phone: 7720056565 / 9867791312