WOW! Monsoons are back. It’s that time of year again with enjoying the rains, fresh air with some snacks chunking all day. Monsoons begin from mid of June till August. It is the most relaxed period where everyone gets relief from the scorching summer heat. But don’t forget in Monsoon one gets more prone to diseases due to changing weather conditions and lifestyle. We tend to stay healthy and clean but still, somewhere we get caught by the disease. So for a healthy and disease-free monsoon, one should stay connected with Ayurveda. Several Ayurvedic remedies keep you healthy and never let your immunity fall. It is only Ayurveda that any Ingredient you consume will never harm your body organs.
MONSOONS WITH DR. MUKESH SHARDA:
Dr. Mukesh Sharda founder of Dr. Sharda Ayurveda clinics shares that Monsoons never affect everyone in the same manner. Each individual has their body type and the balance of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha gets disturbed according to lifestyle changes, dietary habits, and not following a workout routine. This gives birth to respiratory disorders like cough, cold, Asthma, frequent seasonal viral fever, and infections. Due to more humidity and moisture in the environment, not taking proper skincare and not maintaining hygiene give birth to several skin issues like Itching, fungal infection, and dandruff.
According to Ayurveda, there is a recommended plate that is advised to be taken followed by some lifestyle changes.
- Light(Laghu), Oily(Snigdh), Sour(Khatta), Salty(Namkeen) are the tastes that are recommended in the monsoon season. Hence the usage of Pickles is very beneficial in this season.
- Lemon water, Amla is extremely beneficial in monsoon to boost up immunity.
- After or before having a meal, a small slice of Ginger with sprinkled rock salt helps to increase the Agni(Digestive fire).
- Brinjal is found highly beneficial due to its Vata, Kapha reducing property, and Agni pradeepak property.
- Other vegetables advised are Pointed gourd, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, ladyfinger. Vegetables cylindrical in shape are indicated to be taken.
- Avoid Green leafy vegetables because they are heavy and are not easily digestible.
- Wheat flour chapatti with cow’s desi ghee increases strength in the body and decreases vitiation of Vata.
- Pulses like Moongkidaal are highly beneficial with the tempering of desi ghee and garlic.
- Curd is advised to be taken occasionally.
- In the afternoon, buttermilk with a pinch of rock salt and cumin powder added in it is beneficial.
- Avoid swimming.
- Don’t keep yourself wet for a longer period.
- Avoid day sleeping.
For a reliable and healthy way out Ayurveda prescribes some healthy Ayurvedic remedies that will balance the Vata, Pitta, and Kapha dosha. Ayurvedic Herbs are a storehouse of health benefits for all ailments and prevent us from falling sick again and again. They heal a person within. Most persons are seen affected with viral fever, cold, and cough, Indigestion, and fever due to mosquito bites.
Here are some herbal Ayurvedic remedies to treat them in your comfort. All the ingredients are found easily in every kitchen.
To treat Viral fever all you require is-
- 4-5 Neem leaves
- 2-3 Tulsi leaves
- A pinch of Turmeric
- A pinch of dried Ginger (Sonth)
Method- Boil all the ingredients for 5-7 minutes in water. Sip it adding few drops of honey to it.
To treat fever caused due to Mosquito bite-
- 20 Neem leaves, Alum powder
- Boil Neem in water for good 10 minutes and take shower with that water.
- Apply dried Alum powder to the whole body before getting to bed at night.
To treat Cold and Cough-
- Desi ghee ½ tsp.
- 3-4 pieces of black pepper crushed
- 1 tsp. gram flour (Besan)
- 1 cup of Milk
Method- Cook all the ingredients. Add milk and stir well to get a thick consistency. Add sugar to it and drink before getting to bed at night.
To treat Skin Diseases-
- Fresh Neem leaves
- Aloe vera
Method- Make a fresh paste of all the ingredients and apply it to the affected area.
To treat Diarrhoea-
Method- Consume Banana either with curd or yogurt.
Some Tips to Stay Healthy in Monsoon
- Add more Vitamin-C to diet.
- Get enough sleep.
- Promote more hand hygiene.
- Precautions against mosquitoes
- Care for Nails
- Avoid fried, street, and Junk food
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid wearing wet clothes, shoes, and socks to prevent the growth of fungus.