The year 2020 has created an uproar around the world. In addition, as far as science is concerned, in 2020, there is a lot of disruption in astronomy. NASA is constantly issuing its facts and warnings. Outer space has been reported numerous strange things. This year, despite many eclipses and lunar eclipses in the sky, there have been lots of hull-chill creation in the space.
What is the new warning issued by NASA?
Space agency NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has issued a warning to the world about the ‘gigantic and dangerous Asteroid’.
According to NASA, a very large asteroid is rushing towards Earth at a very fast speed. Massive Asteroid is larger than the famous London Eye. The height of the UK London Eye landmark is about 443 feet, and this asteroid is about 50% larger than that. This asteroid will be approaching the Earth in just a couple of days.
The American space expert named the space rock “Asteroid 2020 ND” and labeled as “potentially dangerous”. On July 24, a massive 170-meter-long rock will come in 0.034 astronomical units of our planet (AU).
One AU (149,599,000 km) is the distance between the Sun and the Earth. It is expected that by Saturday, the gigantic asteroid which is traveling at an astonishing speed of 13.5 kilometers per second or 48,000 kilometers per hour will be 5,086,328 kilometers away from our planet in astronomical hair’s width terms.
- Asteroids are miniature, rocky objects that revolve around the Sun.
- In 1801, the first asteroid called Ceres was discovered by Giuseppe Piazzi.
- Ceres is the first asteroid discovered also known as the largest asteroid with 933 kilometers (580 miles) across. The smallest known asteroid, BA 1991, is only 6 meters (20 feet) across.
- Currently, there are more than 8,30,000 known asteroids in our solar system.
- Most asteroids orbit asteroid belts, which are a series of rings between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.
- “Star-like” asteroid term first given by Astronomer William Herschel in 1802.
- Current theory shows that planetoids are planetesimals (object formed by rock, dust, and other materials)–the structural blocks of planets–that never incorporated in one of the eight planets in our solar system.
- Apollo objects are asteroids whose orbit passes through the Earth’s orbit.
- Planetoid about .1 miles wide is believed to have exploded over Siberia, causing damage within a radius of hundreds of miles.
- Most asteroids are different in shape because they are too small to exert enough gravity to become spherical.
- Some asteroids are blown out comets. When the ice is disappeared, all that remained is in the rock material.
- Car-sized meteors fall into the Earth’s atmosphere once a year on average. This produces a bright fireball effect, but it usually burns in the atmosphere before reaching the ground.
- According to scientists, the collision of the asteroid about 65 million years ago caused a chain reaction that led to the extinction of the dinosaurs and affected all life on Earth.
Warning over its upcoming approach
“Currently, potentially hazardous asteroids (PHA) are defined based on parameters that measure the potential of asteroids to threaten a close approach to Earth”, Birmingham Live quoted the space agency said.
It further appended that specifically, all planetoids with a minimum orbit crossing distance (MOID) less than or equal to 0.05 au are considered to be PHA”.
Recently, NASA said on its Jet Propulsion Laboratory website that Near-Earth objects are asteroids and comets that are attracted to the orbit by the gravity of nearby planets, causing them to enter the vicinity of the earth. The scientific interest of planets, especially asteroids and comets are relatively unchanged debris from the formation of the solar system about 4.6 billion years ago because of their status.
The agency informing about asteroids nature stated that the huge outer giant planets or exoplanets (Jupiter, Uranus, Saturn, and Neptune) formed by the cluster of billions of comets, and the fragments left over from the formation process are the comets what we see today. Moreover, today’s asteroids are sporadic fragments remaining after the initial coalescence of inner planets including Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars.
May Be Dangerous For Earth
According to the space agency (NASA), this Asteroid 2020ND may also prove to be hazardous for the Earth. This asteroid will come closest to the Earth on July 24, 2020. According to NASA’s warning, this asteroid will fall within the range of 0.034 AU (Astronomical unit) of the planet Earth. According to the Birmingham report, an astronomical unit is equal to 150 million kilometers, that is, the distance between the Earth and the Sun and will be becoming more closer to the earth.