The service works upon a small fragment of computer codes that are designed to be downloaded on websites. A lot of the computing power of a browser is used by the code to mine the decentralized asset. Coinhive’s computer code has a tendency to be utilized on hacked websites too that allowing it to steal much more of the processing power. The service is considerably used as an advertisement on the website, which gives them higher chances of stealing resources.
WHAT IS CRYPTOJACKING?
A form of malware of threat, cryptojacking allows the installation of a malware program into the device without giving a hint to the user. It steals resources such as CPU cycles, network bandwidth, memory in order to find solutions to the crypto equations which are used to mine crypto coins. This benefits the malware distributor. For a fact, the processing power of coinhive can use up to 90% of the CPU and GPU cycles, resulting in the computer being slowed down or frozen completely.
SYMPTOMS OF THE MALWARE ON YOUR DEVICE
Coinhive depicts certain symptoms, indicating that the device has been infected with the threat. Here we are taking the Mac as an example device.
- The web browser will show a much more elevated percentage of CPU cycles which can be inspected by launching Activity Monitor from Applications>Utilities and selecting the CPU column header.
- The device will start connecting to an address (coinhive.com/lib/coinhive.min.js)
- This process will take a much longer time in order to launch the applications. Once it is down, you will see the device running much slower now.
PROTECTING AGAINST THE COINHIVE MALWARE
- One should stay careful about the web browser they use, along with the extensions. Avoid using fishy or unrecognized sites, extensions, and tools to maximize your device’s security.
- Another step is to check carefully before downloading an application. We often download applications from unrecognized free sites which results in higher chances of your computer getting infected.
- Avoid using proprietary download managers, which results in building up additional programs along with the chosen app to download.
- Another very common mistake users do is ignoring messages from GateKeeper, asking for installation. One should read the terms carefully before intending to download an application through an unrecognized
- The most crucial prevention step is to download safe anti-malware software that can scan your device and alert you to suspicious or dangerous activity.
- Regular safety monitoring of devices is needed too, which includes removing unused applications, inspecting suspicious activities, scanning computers thoroughly etc.
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN REMOVE THE COINHIVE MALWARE (REMOVAL FROM WORDPRESS SITE)
The first step is to find the malicious code prior to cleaning it. One can do this by searching for the malware manually or by any plug-in method. The manual options however seem intimidating. It is advisable to use the plug-in method in order to identify the malware code, the reason being time consumption.
Plug-in requires less time and can also identify the infected files along with the malware. The manual method on the other hand neither guarantees 100% efficiency nor identifies the infected files. In the case of Plug-in, one needs to select the right one as some plug-ins do not provide effective results rates. Once found, remove the malware along with the infected files in order to get maximum security.